Slow Down in Construction Zones!
In response to several complaints of speeding vehicles in the construction zone along Municipal Road 80, the Greater Sudbury Police Traffic Management Unit attended on several occasions over the past few days and issued 158 offence notices to motorists traveling well above the posted speed limits.
Greater Sudbury Police would like to remind the public to slow down and drive with caution in and around all construction zones.
Even minor increases in speed can have devastating results in the event of collision.
Speeding is Dangerous and Costly. In order to keep our roads safe, please observe the lower speed limit and watch for highway workers.
Ontario laws double speeding fines in Construction Zones when workers are present.
The fines are as follows:
|SPEEDING in CONSTRUCTION ZONE when WORKER(S) are PRESENT|
|Kilometres||Set fine + victim surcharge and court costs|
|a) 1-19 kilometres over the max speed limit||$5.00 per kilometre|
|b) 20-29 kilometres over the max speed limit||$7.50 per kilometre|
|c) 30-49 kilometres over the max speed limit||No out of court settlement|
Tips for driving through construction zones;
- Be aware of the workers and what is going on in and around the construction zones.
- Consider alternative routes.
- Expect the unexpected. Road surfaces and traffic patterns change frequently in work zones.
- Anticipate detours and stops.
Obey all signs
- Signs contain important information that warn motorists or provide them with essential information about the work ahead, traffic conditions, road/ramp closures and detours.
- Pay attention at all times. Don’t be distracted by the radio or cell phones; don’t eat or drink while driving.
- Watch for workers, new signs, traffic signals, pavement markings, or uneven pavement.
- Drive at the posted reduced speed limit or less.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Sudden stops are common in construction zones.
Officers will continue enhanced patrols and enforcement as required in this area and other construction zones throughout the City.
Wanted: Gary & Isabel Rogers
**SUDBURY RAINBOW CRIME STOPPERS INC. IS OFFERING A CASH REWARD OF UP TO $2000.00 FOR…Wednesday, September 20th, 2017
Fatal Crash on HWY 69
*UPDATE* On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at approximately 9:00 p.m.the West Parry Sound Ontario Provincial Police,…Tuesday, September 19th, 2017